“Searching for the ultimate social media cheat sheet?
I’ve been looking forever, and can’t find one that’s completely correct. So I made my own!
Simple – but accurate! Outdated infographics are still widely posted and shared, despite their misinformation. Here are the updated social media sizes, as of September 21, 2015.
NEW –> Tumblr sizes added November 9, 2015 (text only).
Essential sizes for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, AND YouTube. Please leave a comment if any need to be corrected. I’ll update as quickly as possible!
Social Media Photo Sizes Quick Reference
Here’s a brief rundown of some critical social media photo sizes.
Facebook Photo Sizes
Update Sept 2015: There have been some minor changes to the Facebook cover photo regarding size and position of the profile picture and buttons. Please see this post for details and to download a template: Facebook Cover Photo 2015 Template.
- Facebook Cover photo size: 851 x 315 | How to make a Facebook Cover Photo for $15
- Facebook Profile photo size: upload 180 x 180 | Make the best Facebook Profile Picture
The size of the profile pic on desktop has been reduced, but Facebook is still recommending upload 180.
- Facebook App / Tab thumbnail size: 111 x 74 | How to make custom App / Tab images
- Facebook Link preview size: min. 600 x 315 | How to get a LARGE link thumbnail
- Facebook Photo post size: min. 504 x 504 | 2014 Facebook wall photo sizes tips
- Facebook Group Cover photo size: 801 x 250 | Facebook Group Cover Photo tips & ideas
- Facebook Event Cover photo size: 784 × 295 | Facebook Event image tips
- Facebook ad sizes: COMPLETE infographic of ALL Facebook photo sizes, including ads:Mega Facebook sizes infographic
Twitter Photo Sizes
- Twitter Header size: 1500 x 500 | Twitter header details and free template
- Twitter Profile size: 400 x 400
- Tweeted Image size: min. 440 x 220 | Tips using on Twitter Images
Google+ Photo Sizes
- Google+ Cover photo size: 1080 by 608 | Update your Google+ Cover Photo
- Google+ Profile photo size: 250 x 250
LinkedIn Photo Sizes
You can upload a banner image for your profile page. LinkedIn calls this a “background,” but it’s more like a cover photo, or horizontal banner at the top of the page.
- LinkedIn profile “background”: try 1500 x 500 | How to repurpose your Twitter header for LinkedIn
- Linked in profile picture: 500 x 500
- LinkedIn Cover photo size: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn status update OR blog post image size: 698 x 400
- LinkedIn logo size: 400 x 400 square. No more horizontal as of July 2015.
Pinterest Photo Sizes
- Pinterest Profile Photo size: 165 x 165
- Maximum pin width when clicked: 735
- More Pinterest image optimization tips
Instagram Photo Sizes
Update Sept 2015: Instagram posts are no longer limited to square! For details, read: Instagram Photo Format Breaks Out of the Box!
- Instagram Profile Photo size: 110 x 110 minimum | Rock your IG profile photo
- Instagram photo size: use 1080 width for best quality | Instagram photo size tips
YouTube Photo Sizes
- YouTube Channel Art size: 2560 x 1440 | Right click to download template
- Be sure to check the template as cropping varies widely from TV to mobile to desktop
- Video thumbnail: 1280 x 720
- Channel icon: 800 x 800
Tumblr Photo Sizes
It’s hard to find image sizes for this platform, and one reason may be that it’s pretty freeform.
I don’t use Tumblr and decided not to add it to the cheat sheet, since I won’t know if things change. But it’s been requested so I’m adding what I found, below.
Since Tumblr is so customizable and each theme is so different, you’ll have to check your particular theme for guidelines. All sizes vary by theme.
- Tumblr header size: Check your theme. I couldn’t find any info.
- Tumblr profile photo size: minimum 128 x 128 jpg, gif, png, or bmp file.
- Tumblr image post: Dash image size maximum 1,280 x 1,920, shows in feed at 500 x 750.
Images can’t exceed 10 MB.
Animated GIFS must be under 1 MB and max at 540 pixels.